April 23, 2010

Friday Funnies: A new one and a repost

Disclaimer: This is never funny in the moment that your child is correcting you. 

But, I thought this was fitting since we were just talking about how edifying motherhood is in Her Hands last night:

One day, I was impatient and my tone of voice towards Asher was short and ugly.

A: Momma, you're talking ugly to me.

M: You're right. I'm sorry, Asher.

A: It's okay, I forgive you, Momma.   But, Momma...what does Matthew 22:39 say?

M: (Uh-oh...I wasn't getting out of this one...) And the second is like it:You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

A:  And was talking ugly to me like that, loving me, Momma?

M: No, Asher, it wasn't.  I am sorry for not loving you by talking ugly to you.  And I'm sorry for being a bad example to you, too. 

A: It's okay, Momma.  But I want you to love God by loving me...


******************

And just so we all remember how "awesome" of a mom I can be (I don't want to pretend like I have it all together around here!) I am reposting this from this original Friday Funnies:

About a month or so ago, I had been having a bad day. I was irritable at the kids. Charlie. Everyone. It was a tense day in the Apel home. 

I was especially irritable at Asher. I had been impatient with him and my tone towards him had been ugly. I had to stop several times throughout the day to apologize to him for "speaking to him in an ugly way." Even after all that, I still hadn't learned. Right before dinner, I was short with Charlie when he asked me a question. Being the wise man that he is, Charlie asked me to pray before dinner (knowing that I needed to examine my heart before I could offer a prayer of thanks to God.) 

So I started, "Lord, I'm sorry that I've just been ugly to everyone today..." then I hear this tiny little, "Meeeeeeeee!!" I look at Asher and he has one of his hands up in the air as high as he could reach, while his head was still bowed reverently, eyes shut tight. I guess he thought God needed some help in figuring out who I had been ugly to that day. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this point...I think I did both.

5 comments:

The Allens said...

Kirby - I am not sure you even remember who I am. I was in Phi Lamb and we were in the same Excellent Wife Bible Study at Living Hope. Anyways, I have really enjoyed your blog! You are such a Godly Mom and your blog is very encouraging! Thank you for your faithfulness to the Lord as a Wife & Mom. It has been encouraging for me to read! And, Im sorry, I hope this doesn't freak you out to get a comment from someone of the past that you dont talk to anymore! Anyways...this post is adorable! And shows that what you are doing with your children is truly making a difference!

Unknown said...

Girl - I'm totally encouraged that Asher knows scripture so well! Can you write about a blog teaching kids scripture and applying? Thanks for being real!

Angela said...

Oh girl, I have had those days. I sure hope I teach Ava to quote back scripture to me one day. You guys are doing an awesome job! ;-)

John and Sarah said...

SHUT UP! That his hilarious. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that yall are training him to know scripture so well! What an encouragement to know that children are never too young to understand. LOVE IT!!!

mandi said...

kirby-
i think we're supposed to be friends. just sayin'. it's kinda crazy we haven't met in person yet. i say we all meet at lynsey's and have some fun!

i love to volunteer lynsey's place!

oh- and this post is just precious. i love that he busted out scripture on you! my 3 year old just tells me "you're being sassy to me today, momma!"

-mandi