September 7, 2011

Busy Bag Swap: Day 8 (Silly Faces)



Angela is one of Charlie's friends from growing up...all the way back to Kindergarten! I met her a couple years ago at Charlie's 10 year High School Reunion and have kept up with her via her blog since!   I was delighted when she drove from out of town to attend our Busy Bag Swap so that I could see her cute pregnant self! (Charlie was glad to be able to catch up with her for a little bit after the Swap, too!) Her little girls (one still in her tiny belly) have such beautiful, classic names!




Family: I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and another precious baby girl on the way

How do you spend your free time? Mostly with my family, there is nothing I would rather do. My hobbies are scrapbooking and photography. I have a whole craft room, it is amazing! Let me tell you that a certain little
girl loves it too. She can destroy it in under 2 minutes.

When you were a child, what was one of your favorite ways to spend your day? Playing for sure. I had the best friends that lived on my street. We would swim, ride go-carts, jumped on trampolines, and there was once even a turtle farm! Great times for sure!

Fondest memory with your mom as a child? All memories with my mom are so sweet. She always worked to make sure everyday was special. I hope one day my girls say the same!

What does special time with your children look like? Cooking, playing make-up, reading, crafts/painting. I am a firm believer in spending quality time with my girl doing the things she loves to do.

Favorite outdoor activity with your kids? Swimming for sure. My girl has inherited my love of the water.

A favorite tradition that you want to pass down with your children? All things Jesus! All things holidays, I love to celebrate each special season! I hope to one day have a tradition of family game night when my girls get older.


************************

This silly face-craft project encourages toddlers to develop fine motor skills, creative skills and their attention spans in a fun and rewarding way. The outcome will be adorable silly faces that provide hours of fun!


Each bag contains a mint tin full of silly face parts, 4 make a face templates, and 4 sorting cards.



To start with, each toddler can begin to build silly faces using the lid of the mint tin. This will allow parents to have a conservation with their kiddos about facial features and discuss the way in which faces differ from one another.





If your child can differentiate between facial parts this is where the sorting cards can be used. Encourage kiddos to sort eyes, nose, mouths, etc using the cards.








Finally, this project can be used to teach your toddlers about emotion by building different faces. The 4 emotions that were included in the bag were happy, sad, excited, and mad.





Ready to make your own silly faces? For 26 bags I used:

-1 downloadable sheet of silly faces
-26 mint tins ($0.70 per tin, this was the most expressive part at $18)
-1 roll of magnets ($3.00 at Wal-mart)
-Cardstock for sorting cards and face templates (50% off at Hobby Lobby total cost around $10)
-I used address labels to print which face for the kiddos to make
- I used my own printer to print faces and labels, and cards

Total cost for making 26 bags was around $30 dollars, not including ink.

Here is how I made the bags:

-Print, cut, and apply magnets to all your silly faces. This is the most time consuming part. Yikes! I had to enlist the help of hubs and co-workers to help with this.
-Put the silly face parts in each mint tin. I cut left over pattern paper to adhere to the front of the mint tin to dress it up a bit.
-Print and cut sorting cards. I printed the 4 sorting cards on one sheet of cardstock and then cut them down to the size of 5x5 using my paper trimmer.
-Cut face templates.
-Print address labels and apply to the face template on which face you would like to build. The options are almost limitless here.

Now it is time to make any day fun building silly faces!



Download:
Silly Faces Printable (I'm not sure what site this is from, but if Angela can recall, we'll post it!)


**Terms of Use:
We'd love for you to feel free to use the files that the ladies in our Busy Bag Swap have worked hard to create, but please keep in mind that the printable images and files on this site are some of our ladies own exclusive designs. They have been generous enough to freely share them.

The terms of use for using the free printable crafts and activities are as follows:  You may share these printables with students, friends, neighbors and family or even with your child's class full of children. As long as you share for personal use only. Please do not post printables on a web site - instead provide a link back to the original posting on this site. Linking to the original page is both welcome and appreciated.


**********************
                                       Go check out what Busy Bag is up today on Grow!

6 comments:

Liz said...

Oh my goodness... I love all of these, but especially this one. I have been trying to find some activity to discuss emotions. Perfect!!!

Lindsay Coudron said...

I love this!!!! I was just wondering if you used a template for the face shape or if you just drew it free hand? Thanks for sharing this great idea!!!

Trisha said...

Awesome! Where did you get the mint tins?

Unknown said...

Getting ready to do Silly Faces. Thanks for the great idea. I was also wondering where you got the mint tins. I found some online, but the shipping more than doubles the cost! And is there a template for the face shapes, or just free hand? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love your busy bags posts! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi I just found this busy bag idea and I would love to make one for my boys! I was just wondering though if you have a template for the faces? Thank you for sharing!